Retail Training & Performance Manager, Japan
The Retail Training & Performance Manager Japan is responsible for driving, designing and implementing learning solutions to increase the capability of Aesop Japan retail employees and promote their development in line with the business strategy.
This position is one of consistent leadership and communication, and by all Aesop employees is viewed as the exemplary ideal of what customer service, product knowledge, and integrity should be. As a key interface with new and existing employees, this position is occupied by an intelligent, curious and adaptable individual who can deliver comprehensive training modules with warmth and authority. An Aesop Trainer knows how to sell products with finesse and energy, and motivate and teach others how to do the same.
As an engaging individual who is representing the brand, the ability to adapt and challenge multiple learning styles and behaviours is crucial. Reporting to the National Retail Manager Japan and with the support of the Head of Retail Capability & Performance, this position has a clear purpose to uphold and increase the capability of Aesop retail employees in line with global business and Retail Training and Performance strategy. An ability to understand any given audience, particularly in new regions, and tailoring the approach in cohesion with this, is essential.
The Retail Training & Performance Manager Japan possesses foresight, analytical thinking and excellent attention to detail, being able to perceive when change is necessary and instigate improvements as the product offerings and service expectations grow. Beyond the initial delivery of the induction training in Aesop Offices and new product training, the Retail Training & Performance Manager Japan will remain ever present in the retail network, ensuring initial knowledge is retained, and provide continuous coaching, support and improvements to the delivery of customer service.
It is essential that the Retail Training & Performance Manager Japan be fluent in both Japanese and English.
This role is at the Operational level, which refers to leaders who have team management and/or operational responsibilities. The critical Aesop Capabilities for this role are (in order of priority):
Capability Desirable behaviours
1. Decision and Directions
Analysing information and committing to a course of action • Recognises the need for additional information from a variety of sources and asks questions to obtain it
• Examines data to identify problems, trends, and cause-effect relationships
• Generates options for action, develops decision criteria and selects the best course of action.
• Makes timely decisions and takes action
• Involves others and considers their perspectives and ensure buy-in.
Taking accountability for achieving goals, and tenaciously completing work of consistent excellence. • Targets opportunities with the greatest potential for producing results
• Establishes challenging goals for self and others to achieve business results
• Works tenaciously to overcome obstacles and to meet or exceed goals
• Remains self-disciplined, measures progress and evaluates results, re prioritises and manages stakeholder expectations honestly and constructively.
• Possesses digital or eLearning capabilities as exemplified in previous roles
3. Client Focus
Ensuring internal and external client needs are considered when making decisions. • Uses understanding of client needs and a flexible mindset to set priorities, make decisions, and take actions that create and maintain client satisfaction
• Identifies client service issues and potential barriers that impact the client experience
• Demonstrates a genuine interest for the individual needs of each learner
4. Creativity & Change
Promoting change and creative improvement, and adapting effectively to new approaches. • Possesses curiosity, empathy, and patience, and remains unwavering in guiding people
• Explains why change is occurring and the anticipated benefits and impact
• Reviews processes to determine gaps between current outputs and expected requirements
• Generates ideas for creative solutions, analyses the impact of each solution and selects appropriate course
• Implements improvements through testing solutions, gathering feedback and modifying solutions as appropriate to ensure effectiveness.
5. Developing Others
Supporting other to grow and develop. • Acknowledges progress, and contributions while emphasising accountability for development actions
• Engages and involves to clarify issues and causes and collaboratively develops a plan
• Shares suggestions for innovative and creative improvement and expresses confidence in the person<br /> • Confirms individual’s commitment and buy-in to addressing the performance goals
• Establishes action plan and monitors progress and results
• Is able to translate and interpret the Aesop culture sensitively, allowing it to meaningfully resonate in a local context
• Embraces and promotes diversity in the workforce as well as guide and mentor with equitability.
Involving others, and by doing so, respectfully persuading to commit to ideas and support outcomes. • Uses open-ended questions to explore and clarify issues
• Communicates benefits and tailors the approach based on the individual in question
• Asks for others’ ideas and collaborates to reach a mutually agreeable solution
• Persists as needed to gain genuine agreement.
Strategy & Planning
• Identify overall training needs in their country to support Aesop’s business strategy and needs
• Partner with Store Managers, RBMs and trainers to identify and report skill gaps and performance improvement opportunities at a regional, cluster, store, team and individual level. This will include leading focus groups in stores, conducting feedback surveys and communicating the requirements back to the Regional Training & Performance Manager and the Head of Retail Capabilities & Performance.
• In collaboration with the Regional Training & Performance Manager and the Head of Retail Capability & Performance, contribute ideas and feedback for the design and development of training, ensuring the content reflects and supports the Aesop brand and culture in their region.
• Develop and nurture a learning culture within the stores and region through active management, coaching, training and reward. This includes but is not restricted to regular visits to Aesop Retail spaces and communication with RBMs, Store Managers and Retail Consultants.
• Build and maintain key stakeholder relationships to promote the most appropriate learning solutions to support Aesop’s business needs.
• Work with the Marketing team to advise on appropriate seasonality of new product selections and ensure new product information (such as product labels, press releases, customer emails, product blueprints) is consistent with the Aesop approach to skincare as well as the training materials and programmes.
Training Design & Execution
• Using the Aesop Learning Management System (LMS) to enrol new and existing Aesop employees in their country into correct training courses depending on their needs.
• In line with guidance provided by LMS Governance Guidelines, upload and manage all training material (Word documents, PPT, videos, SCORM files) pertinent to their country into Aesop’s LMS.
• Upload and manage all facilitator materials to Agora.
• Drive consistency in standards of customer experience throughout the country.
• Build and manage functional training schedules across retail stores, ensuring all trainers work from a detailed calendar of training events, press and launch events, and regular store visits.
• Ensure all training content is accessible and user-friendly for Aesop stores in their country. This includes the development of training toolkits, content, videos, translations, guides, FAQs and learning resources for the stores.
• Plan and support regular delivery of key workshops to build on directed learning, encourage self-directed development, and maximise technical knowledge for improved performance.
• With the support of the Global Training Manager, develop and deliver new product training. This requires an imaginative and compelling delivery, and includes adapting the delivery method and style to an appropriate event type such as a small gathering, workshop or presenting to and engaging a large crowd.
• Maintain comprehensive knowledge of adult learning and development theories, engagement approaches and practices, and implement new solutions where appropriate.
Training Assessment & Performance Management
• Evaluate and monitor the quality, relevance and efficiency of existing learning solutions to ensure learning objectives are being achieved in line with Aesop’s business strategy and needs both regional and global.
• In collaboration with the training team, RBMs and Store Managers, ensure all training, coaching, and mentoring is reinforced in stores and through ongoing performance management.
• Measure and evaluate Aesop’s training efficiency by developing testing procedures then report back to the Regional Training & Performance Manager and the Head of Retail Capability & Performance. This includes but is not limited to the use of surveys, focus groups and follow-up studies.
• Track retail staff performance, measure the outcomes and effectiveness of the overall individual’s training plan and recommend changes to management to ensure all retail staff are progressing in accordance with company strategy and agreed learning outcomes. Use reporting tools and collaborate with management to improve results.
• Using Aesop’s LMS and complementary methods, generate consistent reports on attendance, completion, success rate and engagement, then with the support of the Regional Training & Performance Manager, leverage the reporting to show the relationship between training certification and job performance.
• Ensure the training team, RBMs and Store Managers possess the right tools including soft skills to effectively on-board new hires, mentor them subsequently, and reinforce the concepts, skills and values taught during directed training. This includes but is not limited to the ability to provide positive and constructive feedback.
• Assist with training staff from approved Aesop stockists and wholesale accounts as required, upon agreement with Business Development Manager.
• Monitor the sales performance of new products throughout the launch period, and periodically throughout the first 12 months of its life. Communicate customer anecdotes, share successes and offer further education on the product as required across the network, to ensure the product assimilates into the range.
Customer Experience, Brand Management & Culture
• Act as an Aesop brand ambassador and product advocate, and lead by example in all aspects of the Aesop ideal, including exceptional customer service, Aesop demonstration techniques, and personal presentation and grooming.
• Create a learning environment that fosters creativity, individuality and encourages a strong work ethic.
• Host press and customers and deliver public presentations at events.
Communication, Administration & Stakeholder Management
• Drive communication and promote training activities across the business including a variety of internal communication levels.
• In line with the training facilitation, coordinate all workshop administration and preparation, and ensure all pre and post workshop activities are completed by attendees.
• Ensure all relevant information from Head Office is filtered to retail.
• Compose reminder emails about seasonal change to all relevant parties, including comprehensive details of accompanying product suggestions and blends.
• Communicate and celebrate customer compliments to motivate and encourage the retail teams.
• Deliver monthly written Retail Training reports to update appropriate office staff on current trends and progress.
• Create and work to a calendar at least six months in advance which maps out all training workshops, store visits and customer or press events.
• Manage Aesop’s LMS for their country ensuring all learners’ details are correct, assigning appropriate courses in line with the business strategy, tracking learner progress, generating reports on attendance, completion and results.
• Review course content from the LMS as required, ensuring the content reflects and supports the Aesop brand, tone, business strategy and culture from a local perspective.
• Maintain core course content as dictated by Global Retail Training and select relevant marginal content to meet local needs.
• Assist with translation and proof-reading of learning materials.
• Monitor enrolments and ensure sufficient availability of courses and when available, live webinar sessions.
• Assist the Head of Retail Capability & Performance in the formulation and management of budget and business plan.
• Manage individual budget and project costs.
•>5 years of progressive experience managing and developing high-performance teams in the retail industry.
•Demonstrated ability to proactively present and escalate ideas, suggestions and problems to ensure continuous improvement.
•Hands-on, practical problem solving and process improvement skills with a grounded ability to manage, prioritize and complete tasks within set timeframes.
•Proven ability to foster and develop strong, productive cross functional partnerships
•Very strong written and verbal communication skills particularly in a group presentation setting.